The duncan cottage museum's goals:
- Enrich the cultural and intellectual lives of the people of Metlakatla and visitors to out community through our interpretive exhibitions and programming.
- Educate museum visitors about the missionary William Duncan, Tsimshian culture, and Metlakatla's history and unique status as Alaska's only Indian Reserve.
- Create an encouraging and safe environment in which the people of Metlakatla can have informed discussions about the missionary William Duncan and work together to heal from this history.
- Promote the vitality of Tsimshian culture and strengthen its traditions by offering classes on woodcarving, weaving, language, subsistence methods, art history, and related topics.
- Foster active interest in Metlakatla's history through research opportunities and programming about its founding members, the building of the community during the early 20th century, and its industries.
- Enhance the efforts of the Annette Island School district to teach students about Tsimshian culture and Metlakatla's history.
- Partner with the Metlakatla Indian Community's tourism program to represent our people to the best of our abilities.